1804 Draped Bust Dollar - Dexter Dollar
The 1804 draped bust dollar is one of the rarest and expensive dollars in
the world because only eight (class one) 1804 silver dollars are
You should be very rich and lucky to buy this coin at an
auction where prices will go far above one million dollars for sure. A
fact is that the 1804 draped bust dollar coins where struck in the
year 1834 and 1835 and not in 1804 itself. Also in the year 1858 some
illegal restrikes where made (class two) but those all returned.
Only one class two coin is now in the collection at the Smithsonian
In 1859 into 1860 (class three) restrikes where made from which six
coins are known today.
Some 1804 draped bust silver dollar coin facts.
- Class one: Lettered Edge.
- Class two: New reverse, plain edge.
- Class three: New reverse, lettered edge.
- Face: Anne Willing Bingham.
- Diameter: 39 to 40 millimeters.
- Composition: Silver (.8924) and Copper (.1076).
- Weight: 26.96 grams.
Here below are the images from an authentic and a counterfeit draped
bust silver dollar coin, both showing the year 1804.